Registering with the NHS

Registering with the Health Care Service in London.

One of the most important things to get done when relocating to England is registering with the National Health Service (NHS). The NHS is the equivalent as Medicare in Australia and the District Health Board (DHB) in New Zealand. Registering with the NHS can take a few weeks, so it’s best to be prompt. The reason you register with the NHS as that will then allocated you a General Practice (GP) that you can go to when you are sick or need prescriptions etc. Once you have registered with the NHS and been allocated a GP that's local to your postcode, you can see a doctor in the UK for free. This also include some dentistry needs. 
If you navigate to the NHS website: it contains heaps of information on the ‘what to do's’ when registering. If you have problems with your registration you can call: 0300 311 22 33 or email: or visit the website. You can compare different GP practices according to facilities, services, access and performance to find one that best suits your needs. Or, you could simply ask a fellow expat.

Can I change GP?

Yes, you certainly can. When renting in London we all tend to move around a lot, so its sometimes easier to change GP. If you also experience problems in the relationship with your GP you can also change your practice. Taking care of your health in England is really important to enjoy and make the most of your time here. Its worth being proactive with your GP and utilising the free services. Services such as physiotherapy are also covered by the NHS and can be done by referral at your local GP.