National Insurance Number

A National Insurance Number is the same as a Tax File number in Australia, and a Inland Revenue Department number in New Zealand.

You will need your National Insurance Number to work in the UK. However, although the NIN can take several weeks to get posted to you, you can still start work as long as you have applied for it. You may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP). You don’t need to apply for a National Insurance number if you already have one, or one is printed on your BRP.

National Insurance number interview

Jobcentre Plus may write to you and ask you to come to an interview where you’ll be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance number.

The letter will also tell you which documents to bring to prove your identity, such as:

  • passport
  • identity cardresidence permitbirth 
  • adoption certificate 
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate 
  • driving licence

You’ll be told at the interview how long it’ll take to receive your National Insurance number.

To apply for you NIN, see below: 
Phone: 0800 141 2075